Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Day Three - 5/27/08

Weight: 6.5 oz

Feedings: Every 4 hours

Eaten in last 24 hrs: Approx 25 ml of KMR

Stimulation: Still only urine but working well.

This is Dudley's Diary. Each day I will update his stats and post new pictures.

Dudley was found on Sunday, 5/25/08 in my parent's backyard. Late in the afternoon my mother was out working in the yard and called for us to come quickly to see something. We dropped everything and went running out to the yard. She moved back a clump of old daffodil stems and there screaming his head off was a little black and white kitten. His eyes were open so we figured he had to be about 10 days old. We took him to the vet where they confirmed he was a he and showed us how to feed him and stimulate him to go to the bathroom. Both the vet tech and my mother kept saying his chances of surviving without his mother are not great and that sometimes the mother knows something is wrong and abandons a "dud". As my mother is telling me not to get attached and not to name him, we were naming him Dudley in hopes that he will not be a "dud". My mother is not all gloom and doom, she is just very worried about me getting attached and having my heart broken.

36 hours after finding him, he is still doing well. I feed him every 4 hours (which is a barrel of laughs at 3AM). When we got him home yesterday, the three other felines were not sure what we were doing to them. Andrew is very interested but not quite sure what the hell he is. George has never been one to handle change well, so he growls and hisses anytime he is in the vicinity of Dudley. Gretel, checked him out and then from that point could give a damn as long as he doesn't go near her bed or her person (Mary Beth). As of yesterday, Dudley weighed 6.5 oz. I am going to start another blog that will be Dudley's diary with daily updates and pictures to see his progress. When I have it set up I will add a link to this post.

Meet Dudley:













This is obviously not Dudley. Andrew was feeling left out since I usually take pictures of him. Also, he wanted to show what we hope Dudley will some day look like. As you can tell, health is not an issue with Andrew!

3 comments:

Mary Beth said...

I think we should try a picture of the two black & whites together. Your pics are amazing!

Anonymous said...

Could he have picked a better yard to be abandoned in?

Good Luck with him guys- he's great!!!!

amanda said...

Mary Beth, the picture would be poor Dudley's tail hanging out of Eugene's mouth!

Heckle Jeckle Knits (Our Etsy Shop)