As most of you who have followed this blog from the beginning know I found Dudley abandoned by his mother when he was barely 10 days old. I hand fed him and taught him everything (EVERYTHING) his mother would normally teach him. This is what my little rat looked like:
It has been just over a year since Dud and I joined forces and in that time we have forged a very strong bond. He follows me everywhere, if I would allow it he would follow me to work. When I am home he always needs to know where I am and god forbid he "loses" me, when he finds me he comes yelling at me as if to say "Where the Hell have you been?" These feelings are completely reciprocated on my end. I adore this little creature I saved.
In our year together, Dudley has never spent the night without me. Where ever I go, pretty much he comes too. Until now. Tomorrow morning, I leave (with Mary Beth) to go to the BlogHer 2009 Conference in Chicago WITHOUT Mr. Dudley. We will be gone until Sunday night. My youngest brother is coming to house and feline sit.
Dudley is not a stupid cat, lazy and spoiled rotten but not stupid. He knows something is going on (I think the other three cats are telling him horrible things). He has been unusually insecure and needy over the last 24 hours. The other three cats know something is going on as well, Andrew tried to follow us out the door to work this morning. I think they all thought it was happening this morning.
So this is a warning to anyone going to BlogHer and the management at The Red Roof Inn in Chicago, don't be too surprised if there is a stowaway in my bag. Not sure who it will be harder for tomorrow morning when I leave, me or Dud. I'm thinking me!It's happened, I'm officially the crazy cat lady, sigh, we knew it was bound to happen sooner or later!
As we've mentioned before, we four fantastic felines are forced into carriers and the car each weekend during the summer and taken to the beach. Over the last few weeks they have been nicer to us and not kept us incarcerated in the two bedrooms but allow us during the day to roam most of the house. We are not allowed in the kitchen because the hated dogs are in there. We are also not allowed on the top floor because, I THOUGHT, the parents don't want us in their bedrooms. But this weekend I was coming down the hall towards the stairs to the top floor.
And then I saw it:
The reason they won't let us up there is because of the ogre!!! They say it's the mother's cat, but that ain't like no cat I've ever seen. It's an ogre!!! and it scares me!!
This is the voice of reason here (i.e., the human She). The following evidence to refute the aforementioned "torture" of our felines was taken this morning. Does this cat look unhappy?? tortured??? malnourished???
I continue with my notion that when I die, I am coming back as one of my cats!!
You may be asking yourself why we hate the weekends in the summer and guess what we're going to tell you!
1. It all starts on Friday night at treat time, we DO NOT get treats instead we get herded like cattle into tiny little boxes (at least they have the decency to give each of us our own box).
2. Then the boxes with us in them are carried - very ungracefully, banging us into walls and such - out to the car.
3. She drives like a MADWOMAN!!!
4. After HOURS in the car (actually about an 1.5 hours) we get to the beach house. Where we immediately are locked into two tiny rooms.
5. It is now usually after midnight so they throw some treats at us and go to bed and we have to sleep two cats per bed because there is no furniture other than the beds in this house and the floors are all hardwood. Do you have any idea how small a single bed is? Now add two "healthy" cats and one human. There's just not enough room for all us to be comfortable so the humans sleep like pretzels.
6. During the day they try to keep us locked in the rooms but Andrew (smart old Andrew) has become an expert at springing us. Here's pictures of me and Andrew in the laundry room where we DON'T belong. That's me checking out the sink!
7. AND here's the worst part of the weekends, they spend all their time with the DOGS!!!!!
8. Then on Sunday night, back into the boxes and the car and the crazy driving and cursing.
They lock us in their rooms on the weekends when they make us go to the beach with them. I know, I know rough life having to go to a beach house each weekend but you just don't know the hell we have to go through! Like yesterday, she went for a walk with the DOG and left me in the room even though I gave her the "how can you leave me face".
Please add to the list of things I LOVE - home made chocolate chip cookies! Though, I don't think you need to be so stingy by not including chocolate in my pieces. I don't think it's true that chocolate is bad for me.